These instructions are for running IE7 side-by-side on Windows XP SP2. No warranty! The machine I tried this on became a bit unstable after doing this. I had weird issues with Oulook and very slow page loads in IE7.
- Download IE7 (file I downloaded was IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe)
- At the command line, run IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe /x to run only the self-extraction
- Enter the path you want for the extracted files
- In the new folder, create an empty text file called iexplore.exe.local
- Go into the update folder
- Run idndl.exe
- Run nlsdl.exe
- Run xmllitesetup.exe
- Go back to the extracted folder and run iexplore.exe. It should work…
Use this at your own peril. I’ve noticed a few problems with IE7 running this way but it is functional.